Menu

A broad stroke of the harmoniously colorful students, faculty, and events of the Fine Art Department at the Academy of Art University. Find out more about Art in the Bay area, what goes on at 60 Federal, and our extended family of students and faculty throughout the world.

Request Information

Artist Interview : Meisha Grichuhin

Meisha_Grichuhin

Meisha Grichuhin show California Calling is at 625 Sutter Gallery

Artist Reception: Thursday, July 7th, 5:30 - 7:30pm

Prior to Meisha's opening we interviewed her about her carear.

Did you have any rewarding experiences or interactions with teachers while you studied at the Academy?

I feel very lucky to have had such wonderful instructors at the Academy. Some stand out for their teaching ability, some for their advice, and some for their processes. Paul Kratter, Tomutsu Takishima, and Kevin Moore are all memorable instructors for me, but the teacher who has influenced me the most is definitely Craig Nelson. The first class I took with Craig was Wildlife Painting. 

I was worried that since I had no experience in landscape painting, I wouldn’t get as much out of the class. Craig helped me so much in one semester! I really understood his way of teaching and explaining things- and his style is similar to what I wanted to achieve in my own work. I took as many classes as I could with him after that.

Are you having any upcoming group or individual shows that you would like to share with us?

Yes! I have a solo show with the Academy at 625 Gallery (625 Sutter) for the month of July. The show opens on July 2nd, and the reception is July 7th from 5:30 to 7:30pm. Stop on by! I’ll have roughly 20 pieces on display. I also have two pieces included in the 59th Juried Exhibition at the Haggin Museum in Stockton, which opens the same night, and will be on display until mid-September.

Another group show that I’m participating in for the second year in a row is Sanchez Art Center’s 50/50 Show in Pacifica. This is a really fun show where each artist creates 50 6”x6” artworks in 50 days to a theme of their choosing. It’s challenging but also rewarding to create so much in a short period of time. It’s fascinating to see everyone’s efforts through their different themes and styles. The reception will be in August, and the show up through September.

All of the information for my exhibitions, as well as contact information can be found on my website: www.meishagrichuhin.com.

The Grandeur 20"x20" oil on canvas

The Grandeur 20"x20" oil on canvas

What subjects are you drawn to?

I am particularly drawn to landscape painting. I love being outdoors and find the beauty of nature immeasurably pleasing. Studying and sharing my natural surroundings through my work is my passion. To me, there is nothing more relaxing and grounding than spending time outdoors in a beautiful setting- whether it’s mountains, ocean, pasture, or my own backyard. My other favorite subject is animals, which really goes hand in hand with landscape.

What was the hardest lesson you learned?

Don’t be afraid to start! Get some paint on the canvas and be bold. You can always refine from there. The more you paint, the more you learn. I often think about a quote Craig Nelson uses: “It’s only a mistake if you leave it.” This frees you up to paint without worrying that everything has to be perfect from the start.

What advice would you give to students?

Paint! Paint more! Work hard and pay attention. All the demos and advice your teachers give you are invaluable. Absorb them and, even if you can’t do it at the moment, all those words of wisdom are there for you to pull from when you need them.