Menu

A broad stroke of the harmoniously colorful students, faculty, and events of the Fine Art Department at the Academy of Art University. Find out more about Art in the Bay area, what goes on at 60 Federal, and our extended family of students and faculty throughout the world.

Request Information

Interview with Inderpreet Kaur

IKaur_Sunny%20Swamp

Inderpreet Kaur's solo show The Allure of Northern California will be displayed at the Academy of Art University Gallery July 1st through July 29th.  

Inderpreet_Kaur

What inspired your path to art?

My early life had no freedom of expression, as I have mentioned before that I was not allowed to go outside beside school or temple. I used to use my imagination or sometimes from references I draw on paper with crayons or pencil colors. My teachers and friends used to appreciate my drawings that brought inspiration to keep drawing and painting. 

Prior to Inderpreet's opening at the Cannery we interviewed her to learn of her artistic journey, influences, and hopes for the future.  

Could you tell us a bit about yourself, your history and your experience with art before arriving at the Academy?

I was born and bought up in New Delhi, India. I came from a Sikh business family. Due to family customs I was not allowed to go outside beside School or Sikh Temple. So, I used the paper as canvas and started drawing at an early age. My parents supported my passion by providing useful art material. My father used to reward me whenever I painted something new but it was not developed further due to religious oppression for women at that time. I was a self taught painter without having any foundational knowledge that I needed to learn and always dreamed of becoming an artist before arriving at the Academy. 

Grandeur

Grandeur

What subjects are you drawn to?

Nature and Landscape have always been a part of my life through travelling. I have travelled to many countries like Europe (France, Italy, Spain, Austria), London, Turkey, and Hong Kong etc. I used to see the beauty of those places but never got opportunity to paint then and convey my emotion on canvas. My trip to Lake Tahoe was inspiring subject matter in hand, which turn into my thesis work. I am drawn to and enjoy places where there is water although I have love and hate relationship with water. I don’t know how to swim so to come over that scare I paint water in most of my paintings.      

The Peace

The Peace

What things from your childhood trained your eye to create?

I spend my childhood watching my siblings creating artwork as a Hobby. I remember standing outside next to the door of the studio watching them painting because I was not allowed to go inside. That moment developed interest in me in art. I was the only one in my family who started dreaming to be a professional artist. When that interest made my passion I don’t remember. 

Who are your 3 favorite artists? Why?

Craig Nelson has been my Instructor and mentor for my thesis process. He inspired me to practice more and more. I find his work inspiring and unique. Love his brush work, weaving wood and emotion in his paintings. I follow Kathleen Dunphy’s work . Her paintings are popular for dramatic light. Love the way she capture the light, color and feel of moment. The third artist I’m inspired from is Edgar Payne. He is a “painter’s painter”, bold, fast and with a keen sense of color and balance. He do bold brush work and really thick paint.  

Did you have any particular class or teacher that really opened your eyes? Why?

It is hard to choose one but Craig Nelson is on the top of my list who opened my eyes with incredible work and the way of teaching. Love watching his demo seems like easy to paint any subject. Other class I enjoyed and totally changed the way of my thinking was the directed study class with Albert Ramos Cortes. The strength of my composition comes from the use of designing techniques I have learned from Albert Ramos Cortes. 

What was your biggest challenge as a student?

Time management being a mom of 6 years old and 2 and a half-month daughter was the biggest challenge for me.

Who is your most motivating supporter?

My husband is my biggest strength and supporter. Without his motivation I could not have had achieved my goal.

Did you have any rewarding experience or interactions with teachers while studied at the Academy?

One teacher liked my plein air miniature pieces I painted in his class.  On the last day of class I asked him if he would like to keep any of my work.  It was a very rewarding moment when he choose one from my portfolio.

What advice would you give to students?

Practice, Practice and Practice. Don’t forget to show your artwork, no matter what other will say about it good or bad. Believe in yourself and never give up.

Are you having any upcoming group or individual shows that you would like to share with us?

Annual Members Show at Richmond Art Center from June 13th through August 21st 2015, and the Show at the Academy of Art University Gallery the month of July.

Majesty

Majesty

What is your favorite quote?

“art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life”. Pablo Picasso

Any advice you would like to give to new incoming freshmen?

Try and experiment everything as best as you can like different techniques, mediums and material. Until you find your own right combination of subject, style, technique and material as a student.  

Where do you see yourself in five years time?

I would love to teach and practice as an artist in San Francisco.